Refrigerator water filters Reviews and Everything about them.
Table of Contents
- 1 Refrigerator water filters Reviews and Everything about them.
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Top six refrigerator water filters
- 1.2.1 GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1.2.2 LG LT700P Replacement 200 Gallon Capacity Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1.2.3 EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 3
- 1.2.4 Frigidaire ULTRAWF Compatible Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1.2.5 General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1.2.6 Frigidaire ULTRAWF Refrigerator Water Filter
- 1.3 Basic concepts about refrigerator water filters
- 1.4 Uses and advantages of fridge filters
- 1.5 Some important points about refrigerator water filter replacements
- 1.6 Final Verdict
Need help finding a good refrigerator water filter?
After a while the water filter in the refrigerator can get dirty and unhealthy giving you not the best water.
Let me help you and what I concider the best and most reliable ones. 🙂
In this article, you will get to know the following:
- Reviews of the top six refrigerator water filters
- Some basic concepts about a refrigerator water filter
- Types of these filters
- Uses and advantages of fridge filters
- Important points about replacements of these filters
- Bottom Line
Psst.. these are the top Refrigerator Water Filters
|GE RPWFE REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER||GE RPWFE|
|LG LT700P REPLACEMENT 200 GALLON CAPACITY REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER||LG LT700P|
|EVERYDROP BY WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER 3||EVERYDROP BY WHIRLPOOL|
|FRIGIDAIRE ULTRAWF COMPATIBLE REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER||FRIGIDAIRE ULTRAWF|
|GENERAL ELECTRIC MWF REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER||GENERAL ELECTRIC MWF|
|FRIGIDAIRE ULTRAWF REFRIGERATOR WATER FILTER||FRIGIDAIRE ULTRAWF|
Top six refrigerator water filters
While there are lots of brands of filters in the market, we have picked the top six and reviewed them herewith, in the light of their features, pros and cons. This will help you take the right call when you proceed to buy the best refrigerator water filter for yourself.
GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter
The GE RPWFE Refrigerator Water Filter is one of the most loved filters from the GE brand. It uses a highly sophisticated filtration system which acts effectively on chemicals and other pollutants. It is a guaranteed fit for most of the GE refrigerators. When you use this filter, you can be sure of getting high-quality clean and healthy water. Here is a look at some of the features, pros and cons of this filter, so that you can take the right call of investing in it or not.
- Advanced and Premium filtration system with the capacity of eliminating five pharmaceutical components (ibuprofen, progesterone, atenolol, trimethoprim and fluoxetine) and fifteen contaminants
- Comes with guaranteed fit for some of the GE brand of refrigerators that come with French-style doors
- Excellent capacity to remove components like bad odour, lead, asbestos, mercury, pesticides and other organic elements
- Great technology that knows to retain the natural minerals like fluoride in the water
- Comes with easily replaceable filters that don’t require any sophisticated technology for installation
- Six-month warranty for filters, after which, they need to be replaced
- Very easy to install and maintain
- Scientifically tested and verified filtration system; therefore, you can be guaranteed of the results
- Gives clean, fresh and healthy water that has a great smell and taste
- One of the most respected brands of GE
- Quite steeply priced
- Some users reportedly noticed leaks in this model
- Sometimes people experience fit issues
When you buy this refrigerator water filter, you should first check for the fit, and if that is perfect, this filter should work perfectly for you. Since it is a branded product, you will not experience any problems while using or maintaining them.
LG LT700P Replacement 200 Gallon Capacity Refrigerator Water Filter
Is the water at your home filled with chlorine content and other chemicals like lead or asbestos? If yes, the LG LT700P Refrigerator Water Filter is the right choice for you. It has a capacity of 200 gallons of water and is one of the best choices if you want to gift your family the luxury of chemical-free water. Read on to know more about this product.
- Capacity to hold 200 gallons of water
- Filter comes with six-month warranty
- Great quality of water and ice as it removes chlorine, lead, mercury, asbestos, benzene, bad odour and taste
- Highly reliable filtration system
- Made from highly durable plastic material
- Easy to install
- Compatible with quite a lot of LG refrigerators
- Undergone independent NSF testing, where it was proved that this filter removed close to 90% of the pollutants
- Clean and healthy water guaranteed
- Some people reported leakage problems
- In some cases, users felt that it wasn’t effective in filtering chlorine
This water filter from LG is quite effective as it removes heavy chemicals. It lends good taste and odour to your water and gives you hygienic water in return. You can refer to LG’s official site or Amazon to see the models of refrigerators that this filter is compatible with. This way, you can be sure of choosing the right fit that suits your needs.
EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 3
This is an NSF certified water filter from Whirlpool, and it has managed to surprise everybody with its powerful technology. It is considered to be one of the best choices if you kids or older adults at home because it is very effective in fighting against all kinds of chemicals and pollutants. Here is a brief overview about this filter:
- Superior triple filtration technology which enables removal of a whopping 66 contaminants
- Contaminants removed include chemicals, pharmaceuticals, parasites, and all other dust particles
- Located towards the base of the refrigerators
- Filter needs to be replaced once in every six months
- Compatible with refrigerator models like Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Amana
- NSF certified pharmaceutical reduction system
- Complete removal of chemicals, thereby giving you high quality of water that tastes and smells divine
- High-quality replaceable filters
- Considerable difference in water quality
- Some people felt a metallic/ plastic taste in water after installing these filters
- Sometimes, it gave a loud noise during installation
This water filter can remove up to 66 contaminants, and it also comes at a cost-effective range. There are only a few filters that come with triple filtration system as well. Therefore, it is a good investment once you check the fit and performance capabilities.
Frigidaire ULTRAWF Compatible Refrigerator Water Filter
One of the best advantages of the Frigidaire UltraWF Compatible Refrigerator Water Filter is that it performs like the big brands like Whirlpool but at a highly effective price range. Here are some features of this filter that you may like to know.
- Compatible with Frigidaire and some of the Kenmore models of refrigerators as well
- Comes with superior filtration system that ensures removal of chlorine, minerals and related contaminants
- Comes with a detailed instruction manual, which makes installation easy
- High-quality and healthy water with a nice taste and odour is possible thanks to the simple yet sophisticated technology
- Good value for money
- Very high water flow
- Good durability
- Easily replaceable filters
- Considerable difference in water quality and taste after installing these filters
- Sometimes, the filter is defective and doesn’t fit properly
- Some people reported bad taste and smell of ice during the initial period of use
This is probably one of the most affordable refrigerator water filters available in the industry today. Therefore, it is the best choice for people who have a tight budget and still expect reasonable results.
General Electric MWF Refrigerator Water Filter
Refrigerator filters from GE don’t disappoint users. This one is no exception to the rule. The MWF Refrigerator Water Filter from GE comes with advanced filtration technology that acts on the water effectively and removes all kinds of contaminants from the same. Read on to know more about the product.
- Scientifically tested and verified filtration system that removes five pharmaceuticals (ibuprofen, progesterone, atenolol, trimethoprim and fluoxetine)
- NSF-certified premium filtration technology that is capable of removing up to 12 contaminants from the water (these include chemicals like lead, asbestos, etc.)
- Filters that can be easily installed and replaced
- Compatible with all side-side refrigerators and the ones with a bottom freezer
- Through process of contaminants removal, thanks to the efficient filtration system used in it
- Easy to install and replace as well
- Better-tasting water and ice guaranteed
- 30-day warranty from GE; free replacement for defective products
- Some users reported slow water flow problems
- Some users didn’t find any difference in water taste even after using the filter for months
Yes, it does have a few disadvantages; however, GE keeps upgrading its filters on a regular basis. This filter possesses the valid certifications that are needed to test the removal of contaminants, and it does a good job out of it.
Frigidaire ULTRAWF Refrigerator Water Filter
This refrigerator water filter from Frigidaire promises to turn your unhealthy tap water into water that is clean and healthy. Its superior filtration system is worth trying out if you have refrigerators that are compatible with this model. The features, pros and cons of this filter are explained herewith.
- Comes with NSF and ANSI certification, which speaks volumes about its effectiveness
- Capacity to reduce up to 99.8% of chemicals and other pollutants in the untreated water
- Keeps refrigerator clean of all residues and accumulated sediments
- Comes with a filter life of six months
- Obvious difference in the taste and smell of ice and water quality
- Filters are easy to replace and install
- Some users reported a rotten smell (that of sulphur) in the water after installing these filters
- Not quite durable as in some cases, the filter broke off easily within a couple of months of usage
If you have checked the product that arrives for defects and if you have got the size right, this water filter from Frigidaire proves to be a good purchase. In some cases, you might get the non-upgraded filters which may result in an unpleasant experience for you.
Basic concepts about refrigerator water filters
A refrigerator water filter is used to remove the dust particles from water which flows through its water and ice outlet. These filters ensure that the tap water at your place is treated very well so that it tastes better and is of great quality. When you install these filters in your refrigerators, you don’t have to spend anything extra in getting external water filters or bottled water from the stores. In a nutshell, these fridge filters are one of the best eco-friendly and cost-effective filters that you will ever find on the market.
There are six basic types of fridge filters that you should be aware of. They are:
- Drop Down
- Slide Out
Let us look at each of these types in the trailing section:
These are usually located at the bottom portion of the fridge. These filters are lengthy and thin. They can be operated with the help of a push button. These filters are nicely covered with a knob, which doesn’t make it stand out awkwardly.
These filters have been given this name because they are located in the drop down section of your refrigerator. This section is the one that you find inside the food compartment of the fridge. The best part of these filters is that they are located at such a place where they are hidden very well. Therefore, they don’t spoil the look of your fridge or occupy too much of space.
These filters are quite similar to the “Grille” model. The only difference is that in the slide out models, you have a slab that can be opened with a push button or quarter turn. In the grille model, you will have the knob that can be ejected with the help of the button. Like the grille models, the slide- out filters are also located at the bottom portion of the fridge.
These filters are short, stout and in the shape of a barrel. They are placed at the back of the food compartments, and they are well-protected. Most of these filters come with a safe plastic cup covering that can be opened with a pull. These cups have rubber gaskets to hold the filters tightly. Gaskets need to be replaced quite frequently for the proper functioning of the filters.
The models that we saw above are inbuilt inside the refrigerators. However, the inline filter is not. These are external filters that are connected with your fridge through the water connection network. The major advantage of these filters is that there it brings a lot of flexibility for you. You cannot connect any model of the fridge with any brand of water filter.
Uses and advantages of fridge filters
How can you be sure that your refrigerator uses chemical-free and dust-free water for making ice? Through fridge filters, of course! These filters follow a systematic process where it acts on pollutants like chemicals, soil, pesticides, dust and the like. Most of the filters go through a detailed three-stage filtration process. The first level takes care of big-sized pollutants; the second level takes care of removing the chlorine content, and the final level takes care of removing carbon content. Therefore, the resultant water that comes out of the filters is clean, healthy, tasty and of good odour. Here are some of the main benefits that you will get when you use refrigeration water filters.
Cleaner and safer water
– Needless to say, this is the first and foremost advantage of installing a water filter in your fridge. You can choose to buy the inbuilt model or inline model. However, the benefits with both are the same. Your kids can be assured of clean and healthy water.
Better taste and odour
– Since these filters follow a detailed process to act on the water and remove all possible contaminants from them, the resultant quality of water that you get is quite high. It is crystal clear, and you will be surprised to note that it tastes better than before. Since all the pollutants and dirt particles are removed from the water, it also smells better.
– Most of us buy bottled water, in a bid to drink chemical-free and healthy water. However, we have to admit that bottled water doesn’t come cheap. If you are going to invest in a few bottles on a daily basis, it can burn a deep hole in your pocket. This is why it is highly recommended that you buy refrigerator water filters. These are cheap and far more effective than bottles. Also, you can get refrigerator water filter replacements easily, which makes managing them, a breeze.
Easy to manage
– These water filters can be cleaned and replaced easily. When it is due for replacement, some of the filter models let you know through an indication light. In some other cases, the manufacturer lets you know through email, text or call about the same. This way, you can avoid all kinds of refrigerator water filter leaking issues and remain alerted always.
In the case of inline filters, you have the extra flexibility to choose any brand of your choice because they would be connected externally with your fridge. Since these filters go through a step-by-step iteration process to give you clean and healthy water, it is only natural that you shouldn’t think twice before investing in them, isn’t it?
Some important points about refrigerator water filter replacements
When you invest in any machinery, you should ensure that you maintain it well. This rule applies to fridge filters as well. Since these filters are prone to accumulation of dust and other pollutants, it is highly recommended that you replace them as per the instructions of the manufacturer. This will guarantee the smooth functioning of the filters. If you don’t do this, the water that flows into your fridge will not be clean, and the whole purpose of installing filters gets defeated. How do you know when it is time for a refrigerator water filter replacement? The following indications will help you.
How to install
Here is a couuple of good videos on how to install your water filter, note there can be some difference on your refrigerator.
How To Replace Refrigerator Water Filter :
How to Install EveryDrop™ Ice & Water Refrigerator Filter 3:
How to Install and Replace the GE RPWFE Water Filter:
Check the indicator light
– To make matters easier for you, most of the latest models of fridges come with a filter replacement indication light on them. When your filters are due for replacement, this light gets switched on automatically, thereby alerting you of the needful action.
Keep track of the time
– Usually, it is recommended to replace fridge water filters once in every six months. When you don’t have an indicator light facility, you need to keep track of the last time you changed or installed your filters. If it is more than six months since you touched your filters, they are due for a replacement.
The improper functioning of the dispenser
– More often than not, the speed at which your fridge dispenser functions is a good clue to understanding if your filter needs a replacement or not. For example, when your filter gets clogged with debris, mineral deposits and other pollutants, its efficiency gets hampered. It takes quite long to fill just one glass of water, in this case. When your dispenser dispenses water very slowly, you should know that it time to replace your filters at the earliest.
The quality of Ice
– If you want to know if your filters are working fine, check the quality of ice in your tray. When the ice cubes are not clear, or when they have a weird colour or smell, you know that your filters need to be replaced. Sometimes, even after the usual time, you find that ice has not been formed properly. This is also an indication that you need to replace your filters soon.
The quality of water
– Is your water tasting different than before? Do you feel a strong odour of chemicals or weird taste of any deposits? If yes, it only means that your filters have not done an effective job in removing the pollutants. Therefore, the quality, taste and appearance of water form an important part of deciding if your filters need replacement or not.
Big brands like GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire, are ruling the refrigerator water -filter industry today. It is highly recommended that you choose Filters from these respected brands. Never trust newbie companies because they offer filters at throwaway prices. If the prices are too low to be believed, it should ring an alarm bell in your mind that they cannot be trusted! Once you have drilled down on the brand that you want, ensure that you check the compatibility chart available with the manufacturers and choose the filter that fits your refrigerator well. Spend some time in analysing the size and other technical aspects so that you can enjoy the benefits of clear, healthy, chemical-free, tasty and good-smelling water.
This article took long time to write, i appreciate the share 🙂
Leave a comment if you have anything to say, thanks for reading hope it helped your decision and have good day 🙂